Submitting your photographs to food porn websites like Tastespotting, Food Gawker, and Photo Grazing is an excellent way of drawing traffic and readers to your blog. As many of you know, these sites are curated sites, meaning that your photograph is judged and either accepted to be published, or not.
When I first started blogging, my photos were consistently rejected by these sites, and after feeling the sting of yet another rejection I decided to take action and really work on my food photography skills. These 20 tips are some of the things I learned along the way and now my photos are regularly published...check out my Foodgawker published submission page!
If you haven't had luck getting published then these 20 tips are for you!
20 tips to get published in second part of post...
20 Proven Tips To Get Your Photographs Published On Tastespotting1. Never use a flash
2. Shoot during the day, next to a window
3. Don't clutter your background
4. Be objective
5. Use garnishes
6. Don't get too close that you can't focus clearly
7. Before you shoot, ask yourself "What is the main point of interest in this shot?"
8. Use simple plates
9. Shoot 3 distinct angles for every recipe. Pick best shot at the end.
10. Arrange food on plate so that it is clearly visible
11. Never shoot indoors with house-hold light bulbs
12. Place main food item in center (these sites have a square format, so keep that in mind when shooting!)
13. Instead of photographing one cupcake, line three up, front to back, and focus on
the first one. Apply this rule to other food items.
14. Use a reflector to fill in dark shadows
15. Use a tripod if shooting indoors in a low light situation
16. Use photoshop, or other software, to correct exposure, contrast, and color saturation
17. Take 2 minutes to make the food look good on the plate before you start to shoot
18. Play with the composition. Use the rule of thirds!
19. Shoot lots and lots of photographs of the same plate of food. The more you shoot the more you'll have to choose from!
20. Have family and friends help you pick their favorite shots before submitting to the food porn sites.
Do you have any other tips to add to this list? Leave a comment and let me know!